Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Out of the habit...

Of blogging. It's difficult to articulate something interesting most days. It's rough, you see. Imagine, if you will, that you were a dog, but you were invited to do something that a dog perhaps does not normally do, for example, play poker.



Now, unless you were masterfully painted in the early 20th century by C.M. Coolidge, you would likely find it quite difficult to hold and fan a hand of cards without opposable thumbs. Also, you would lack the cognitive skills to understand the intricacies of poker hand hierarchy.

Just saying.

At any rate, lately I've been finding it a bit tough to have much to write about aside from how cruddy my life is, and I feel that that is not an appropriate subject for this thing, lest it turn into the typical internet whine-a-thon about "I'm so lonely why can't I meet people" and/or the internet angry whine-a-thon of "Why can't they make a good movie about cowboys in space? I could do it."

No, this level of bush-league punditry is too low for even me to indulge in. And thus I fall silent, for it is better to leave your mouth closed and look a fool then open it and remove all doubt, as Mark Twain purportedly said. It is important to note that this quote has also been attributed to Lincoln, George Eliot, Groucho Marx, Einstein and Silvan Engel.

Interesting note on Silvan Engel. The quote when attributed to Lincoln is usually claimed to be Lincoln quoting this Engel fellow, though other than this quote, I can find no record of Engel's existence. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry.

If he did exist, he left the best legacy ever. He was a man important enough for one of our most famous presidents to quote, yet left no record of his likely flaws behind. Genius.

RJC

No comments: